Response to Hurricane Florence
This past weekend, Hurricane Florence spread devastation upon many of our North Carolina neighbors. In preparation for the Service of Prayer and Action at First Presbyterian of Garner on September 20 at 6:30pm, you are invited to bring the following for our offering.
Items under #1 and #2 will be brought forward during the service; financial gift can be placed in a designated area in the narthex as you enter or leave the service.
1. “Gift of the Heart” Clean-Up Bucket
These buckets and the items that fill them help volunteers and residents clean, salvage, and begin restoration of their neighborhoods and communities. Thank you for the donation of the following items:
- scouring pads
- sponges, assorted sizes
- scrub brush
- cleaning towels (pkg of (18 reusable, like Easy Wipes®)
- 50 oz bottle . or 25 oz. bottle(s) of liquid laundry detergent
- bottle of liquid concentrated household cleaner (like Lysol®)
- 24-28oz bottle liquid disinfectant dish soap (like Dawn®), 24-28 oz.
- 1 pkg. clothespins, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft. clothesline
- dust masks
- latex gloves (like Playtex®)
- work gloves
- 24 to 28 count roll heavy-duty trash bags (30-45 gallon, remove from carton)
- 6-9oz bottle insect repellant (pump, drops or lotion; not aerosol)
2. Non Perishable Food:
Those displaced from their homes, the shelter sand churches offering them refuge, and the volunteers who will be helping in recovery could benefit from non-perishable food items. The items we collect will be sent to Operation Blessings North Carolina which is coordinated by church member Audrey Denton.
Some suggested items include: canned vegetables, soup, meat, and fruit; rice, beans, beef jerky hard candies, bottled water, dried baby formula.
3. Financial Assistance:
The Presbytery of New Hope Disaster Response team will be working closely with Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, the PC(USA)’s denomination organization that responds to humanitarian crisis such as Hurricane Florence. The funds raised through your financial gifts tonight will be sent to the Presbytery and 100% will go directly to supporting efforts to rebuilding efforts rather than administrative or staffing costs. If you make a gift by check, please write it to Presbytery of New Hope and put Hurricane Florence in the memo line so that it can be directed properly.
Jesus tells us in the Gospel of Matthew that as we respond to the needs of our neighbors, we are demonstrating our love for him. Thank you for your generosity and many gifts!
At the First Presbyterian Church of Garner, we strive to honor the first and second “greatest commandments.” We express our love for our Creator and Savior by…
- Providing meaningful experiences of worship,
- Expressing our beliefs through Christ-centered ministries,
- Serving as generous stewards of our blessings,
- Sharing our faith, and
- Using our gifts to care for others.
Our love of God leads us to nurture one another, the community, and the world through prayer, visits, mission trips, and personal support. Our congregation is a vital, friendly, mission-focused community of faith that offers ministries and activities for young and old. We are a church for people of all ages and for every stage of faith. We welcome new faces and the challenges of new ideas. We’re delighted that you’re visiting our website. We invite you to join with us for worship and fellowship.