In 1954 several families in Garner became interested in organizing a Presbyterian Church. They began by having Prayer Meetings on Tuesday nights in the American Legion Building on Main Street. Soon they moved to the Garner School cafeteria.
In the spring of 1956, with the help of the Presbytery of Granville, this small group of disciples purchased the vacated Baptist Church building on Old Rand Road. The Reverend Samuel Burgess was called as the first pastor and on September 23, 1956 the church was officially organized with 31 charter members.
And they set off on a journey, not always certain of the destination, but committed to each other and to serving where and how Christ would lead them. They were willing to trust God, follow their dream and invest in the future of this congregation.
In 1959 the church obtained the four-acre site we now occupy on Lakeside Drive and fully paid for it within two years. On Palm Sunday, 1965, the first worship service was held in the new building.
On April 4, 1982 a service of Celebration and Thanksgiving was held to mark the completion of payments on the church building. It is truly remarkable what this congregation accomplished in such a short time.
After 33 years of ministry, Reverend Burgess retired. In June 1991, Reverend Jim Ferry was called to be the second installed senior pastor of the church. Reverend Larry Green was called and installed as Associate Pastor in 2003. In January, 2015, Reverend Jim Ferry retired after 23 years of ministry.
This church has been blessed with talented and gifted staff as well as dedicated church member; all who shared their gifts to the glory of God and the building of this congregation throughout the years.
In 1994 the sanctuary and narthex were expanded. In 2002 the new Fellowship Hall was built and the first floor of the original building was renovated. Blessings upon blessings.
Today the church has approximately 250 members and is engaged in a variety of educational, youth, music, and outreach ministries. We also welcome community groups to utilize our facility – groups like Boy and Girl Scouts, Alcoholics Anonymous, Alzheimer’s Support Group.